Friday, August 17, 2012

Wow. Idealism often goes hand in hand with naivete...

I think we hear the word 'hard' so many times that it loses its meaning. I clearly did not understand the word 'hard' when I wrote my first post on this blog, eyes shining, heart (over)flowing with positivity.

But, yes, indeed, Medical school is hard. It's just the volume of information and the high standards for your learning and understanding of this knowledge.

Understandable - with great power comes great responsibility. This is the reason we study 12/7 - to become competent enough to handle some pretty massive responsibilities. It certainly feels that way. I'm surprised I'm able to walk around because, emotionally, I feel like I'm weighed down so much that I should be immobile. Oh, what's that you say - I should be active? In fact, I should have a life? What's this about a life outside of medical school? Oh, how funny! Ahahahaha!

No, the life outside of medical school that I hope to have will revolve around my relationships - both with med students and normal people (ha!). These will keep me sane enough and then I can easily get back to studying.

I'm honestly the kind of person that needs to wear blinders in life. Imagine those things that race horses wear to block their peripheral vision. I'm too easily distracted by extracurricular activities. Let me just focus on school. Let me just have this. If anything, I can try to develop my fiction writing on the side. I would actually love to take up painting, but maybe I should settle for little trips to the local Paint 'N Party with friends. Hobbies with little investment - that's what I need. And, maybe just maybe, I'll post my writing or my artwork up here for all the world to see (1 or 2 people if I'm lucky).

No comments:

Post a Comment